Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Double Review- Apollo V-Tube & SmokTek 4XL Cartomizer

Hello all, today I'm bringing you a quick review of the Apollo V-Tube variable voltage mod as well as a first look at the SmokTek 4XL cartomizer. We have a lot of stuff to cover so let's begin!


copyright Apollo E-Cigs
I saw this knock off lavatube for 1/2 the cost of the original and decided to give it a try. I ordered this mod from www.apolloecigs.com for $46 (device only [or so I thought]) When I received it, instead of being just the tube, they sent me the whole kit including a battery, charger, drip tip, 3ohm atomizer and a case which was a happy accident in my favor.

copyright Apollo E-Cigs
The atty was ok at best. It leaked like crazy and didn't last very long but hey, who can argue with free? As for the drip tip, just a cheap clear one you get with a dual coil tank, no big deal. The case is nice as it's simply a rebranded Joytech case, only problem being it doesn't fit the device with anything attached atop it. The battery/charger are decent, the charger is a single charger with a spring to secure it in place and a protected 18650.

Functionality of the device has been superb. It can handle all sorts of atty/carto resistances which is convenient. I've taken it to work with me and it can definitely handle some abuse. It has a drip catcher which helped greatly with the flooding atomizer and seats a J, MAP or Phiniac tank easily. You can ramp the voltage from 3.0-6.0v in .1v increments and check the battery level with 7 clicks of the power button. The 18650 battery last a while, I'm an average vaper and I can get about a day and a half with a full charge. When the battery drops below 3.5v, it starts to lose some power and when it gets to 3.2 the LED blinks and it shuts itself off. It also has an auto shut off feature in case it goes off in your pocket.

That's the good news...read the next paragraph before rushing to order.

Upon arrival, mine had a vertical scratch on the big button of which I was not happy with. After a few weeks of use, the paint is starting to rub off the battery cover and big button. I'm not sure why the entire device isn't entirely aluminum, probably to save money. Also, today I noticed the battery cover doesn't sit perfectly flush to the main part of the tube where you can see the threads which leads to believe this might eventually cause corrosion or other problems down the road. The smaller buttons rattle back and forth freely which is ugly and makes the device seem cheaply built. Last complaint I have is that the threads are very crunchy which can be helped by putting on some aluminum lubricant but I was still slightly disappointed at this fact.

Bottom line: this is a well functioning device that has some aesthetic and design flaws.

Value: 
Aesthetics: 
Functionality: 



copyright AltSmoke
Now here's a very quick first look at the SmokTek 4XL carto. I purchased these originally to use with my ProVari V2. Let me just say, these things are HUGE! When attached to the PV with the extension cap, its almost 9" tall. They are low resistance, dual coil and have a capacity of 90-100 drops of e-liquid. They do work on an eGo C-Twist set at a higher voltage but with substantially less vapor which is too bad since they look amazing when paired with a DCT thread cover. So far the only problem I've run into is flooding since there's no indication when they are full. I carried one around with me all weekend as a secondary PV without it going dry. At $3.50/per and with quantity discounts available at AltSmoke, these are a pretty good value if you're not ready to step up into a tank or want something more aesthetically pleasing than a clearo. I'll be sure to let you know after further usage.

DISCLAIMER: I bought these devices for my own use and for testing purposes. All opinions are my own and are for educational purposes.

Follow me on twitter and instagram: @photoagogo

2 comments:

  1. I got the stainless steel v tube. It came with 2 batteries, charger and drip tip. I ordered 2 matching tanks with it that came with SS tips. Awesome engineering. Incredible. No problems perfect fit. You get what you pay for and aluminum is cheap. Mine is 2 years old and making clouds with the first tank. Apollo made an elegant designer ecig with this stainless steel model. I suggest you get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny side note to this story: a few months after posting this i dropped it from my lap to the floor by standing up from the couch and the damn this completely fell apart! the 510 connector and the electronics came right off and the wires broke. i realize that the aluminum models are made better, a friend of mine has one and it works great. i put mine through hell and back and it still lasted me over a year so i guess im happy with the >$50 investment. happy vaping!

      Delete